The Top Blog Posts of the Week
- Published on Sunday, 06 November 2011 08:49
by the Contributing Editors of SBC Today
This is a list of recent blog posts which we found interesting. That we found them interesting doesn’t mean we necessarily agree with or endorse the ideas presented in the posts, but that we found them to be intriguing and thought-provoking. (They are listed in no particular order of interest). Please post your comments to discuss any article that strikes your interest. If you have recent blog posts to nominate, please send the link to firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Issues in the SBC
- “Should the SBC Change Its Name?” by Trevin Wax on the Kingdom People blog, with his thoughts on the proposed SBC name change.
- “Five Ways to Be a Good Little Calvinist, no. 2,” by Joe Thorn on his blog, with the second in his series on being an unoffensive Calvinist, with his second tip: critique with kindness, correct with compassion, warn with earnestness.
- “Questions about Calvinism, Acts 29, Local Associations, and the BF&M 2000,” by Jonathan Akin on the Baptist 12 blog, with reflections about the Daviess-McLean Baptist Association denying membership to a Calvinistic church.
- “We Do Missions Right!” by Rick Patrick on the SBC Voices blog (and the Alabama Baptist newsmagazine) expressing appreciation for the Cooperative Program and the Southern Baptist way of doing missions.
About the Church and Christian Ministry
- “What Does the Average Megachurch Look Like?” by Ed Stetzer on his blog, providing some statistics describing the average megachurch.
- “Fifteen Characteristics of Great Leaders,” by Thom Rainer, listing what he promises in the title.
- “Four Tragic Shifts in the Visible Church, 180-400 A.D.,” and “Four Shifts, Continued,” by Jon Zens on Paul Burleson’s VTM Bottom Line blog, discussing four shifts in the early church which stultified the momentum of the early church. The first two shifts are from the church being a dynamic organism to a settled institution, and from a polyform ministry to a uniform ministry.
- “The Doctor,” by J. Clint Adams on the Helwys Society Forum blog, with an appreciative essay on the ministry of Martyn Lloyd-Jones, “the Doctor.”
About the Personal Devotional Life and Society
- “The Beauty of the Personhood Amendment,” by Bart Barber on the Praise God Barebones blog, expressing appreciation for the proposed personhood amendment.
- “Fit for Glory,” by Brad Whitt on his blog, with a devotional reflection on Enoch’s life drawn from Hebrews 11:5.
- “Waiting on God,” by Ed Steele on the Worship Heartcries blog, with reflections on Isaiah 40 and the necessity of waiting on God.
- “Latest Research Backs Up Bible about Booze,” by David Worley on the SBC Voices blog, commenting on the implications of a recent study on the dangers of alcohol for women.
- “Gripped by Fear: Overcoming Obstacles in Evangelism,” by Matt Queen on Theological Matters, the new Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary blog, on overcoming the fear to share your faith.
- “Touch,” by Kathy Steele on A Christian Counselor’s Musings blog, with the fifth in her series of applying the five keys to effective marital relationships to our relationship with God.
- “Living with Your Back to the Game,” by Lynn Jones on the FBC Booneville blog, with a warning not to miss the good part of life.