by the Contributing Editors of SBC Today
This is a list of recent blog posts which we found interesting. That we found them interesting doesn’t mean we necessarily agree with or endorse the ideas presented in the posts, but that we found them to be intriguing and thought-provoking. (They are listed in no particular order of interest). Please post your comments to discuss any article that strikes your interest. If you have recent blog posts to nominate, please send the link to email@example.com.
- “Observations and Questions for ‘Old Earthers’ and Theistic Evolutionists,” by Dave Miller at the SBC Voices blog, posing five questions for reflection about old earth theories of creation.
- “The Lengthening Shadow of Pro-Gay Theology,” by Thom Hunter on the SBC Voices blog, with suggestions intended to help persons who struggle with temptation toward a homosexual lifestyle.
- “Craig, Law, and the Evil God,” by Randy Everist on the possible Worlds blog, with the evaluation of an interesting debate on the existence of a good God or evil God between William Lane Craig and Stephen Law.
- “Kenneth Kantzer of TEDS Predicted Inerrancy, Evolution Crises in 1987,” by Owen Strachan on his blog, noting five predictions made by Kenneth Kantzer which have (unfortunately) come true in the evangelical world.
About Issues in the SBC
- “Everybody Knows There’s No Real Problem with Aggressive Calvinism in the SBC, Don’t They?” Not If We Believe Dr. Frank Page,” and “The Strange Silence of Baptist Press on Major Issues Affecting Southern Baptists,” by Peter Lumpkins at the SBC Tomorrow blog, with reactions to the SBC Today interview of Dr. Frank Page.
- “Controversy over Calvinism Brewing in the SBC,” by Roger E. Olson on his blog, with his take on the SBC Today interview with Dr. Frank Page.
- “SBC Leader Cites Calvinism as Top Challenge,” by Bob Allen in both the Associated Baptist Press and the Baptist Standard, reporting the SBC Today interview of Dr. Frank Page.
- “Please Don’t Go There,” by Rick Patrick at the SBC Voices blog, expressing concerns about the repetition of the rationale given for an SBC name change by some SBC leaders (in this case Russ Moore) that the SBC name is associated with racism.
About the Church and Christian Ministry
- “Who Should You Listen To? Nine Things to Examine When Others Offer ‘Advice’,” by Perry Noble on his blog, with nine criteria you should consider in listening to the advice of others.
- “Is Your Pastor a Celebrity?” by Eric Redmond on A Man from Issachar blog, with five criteria defining celebrity preachers, and five suggestions on how ministers can avoid this perception.
- “Don’t Make Your Pastor a Statistic,” by Thabiti Anyabwile on A Man from Issachar blog, with ideas to help churches encourage and help their pastors toward spiritual, intellectual, and physical health.
- “When Technology Comes to the Church,” by Jackson Watts in the Helwys Society Forum, with a follow-up article to his earlier essay, “Is Technology Neutral?” discussing the impact of technology on worship.
- “Twenty-first Century Hymn Troping,” by Greg Woodward at the (i)ncarnation of worship blog, with comparisons of contemporary hymn composition and the musical technique of troping used in the Middle Ages. Sorry, this one is just for the musically astute.
About the Personal Devotional Life and Society
- “Plodder Advises the Presidential Candidates,” by William Thornton on the SBC Plodder blog, with suggestions for the Republican presidential candidates about how they can improve their presentation of themselves.
- “Accountability Ain’t Easy . . . but We Got to Have it!” by Mike Bergman at the SBC Voices blog, with reflections on the necessity of accountability for the Christian life.
- “Getting along with Those In-Laws,” by Bryant Wright at the Pray4SBC blog, with advice about how to have more constructive relationships with in-laws.
- “Tim Tebow, Football, and Anti-Christian Bias,” by Howell Scott on the From Law to Grace blog, with concern about the anti-Christian bias reflected in the media treatment of identifiable Christian sports stars such as Tim Tebow.
- “Why Is Tebow Hated So Much?” by Denny Burk on his blog, with a prayer for Tim Tebow in light of the incredible pattern of criticisms of him.
- “Hating Viki Knox: A Missed Opportunity in First Amendment Rights,” by Mark on the Here I Blog blog, with a defense of Union Township in New Jersey high school teacher Viki Knox, who was suspended after criticizing a lesbian/gay/bi-gender history month display at her school.
- “One Woman’s Wrestling Match with Submission,” Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3, by Vivian Hyatt on the Gender blog of the Council on Biblical Manhood and Womanhood blog, with a survey of societal and biblical resources on this issue, and (in Part 3) listing four misconceptions about biblical submission.
- “Be Humble Scholars of Christ,” by Joe Thorn on his blog, with a plea from Richard Baxter for humility in theology.
- “When God Hides His Face,” by Brad Whitt on his blog, with a devotional thought based in Job 26:9.