SBCToday contacted Rev. Billy Stevens yesterday for permission to link to his informative, engaging, revealing and gracious blog post, “Calvinism and Calvinists.” Rev. Stevens — pastor for discipleship at FBC Houma, La., – is a former Calvinist, even a hyper-Calvinist. As such he, like former Calvinist Ronnie Rogers, is uniquely qualified to write and opine as he does.
His blog post resonates with SBCToday, and should with anyone who has interest in the topic now dominating the SBC.
To whet your whistle, see the blog’s outline below.
And, thank you, Pastor Stevens, for granting permission to re-post your essay.
Click HERE to read the post.
FIVE THINGS I LIKE ABOUT CALVINISM
1. Emphasis on the Sovereignty of God.
2. Calvinism holds to its center piece the marvelous atoning work of Christ on the Cross.
3. Calvinism teaches that Grace is radically necessary.
4. Calvinism teaches that true believers will persevere.
5. Calvinism seeks to answer some very difficult questions in Scripture.
WHAT I LIKE ABOUT CALVINISTS
1. Calvinists have a high view of Scripture!
2. Calvinists study the Bible!
3. Calvinists are Thinkers!
4. Calvinists are Passionate!
5. Calvinists know what they believe.
6. Calvinists evangelize because Jesus told them to.
WHAT I DISLIKE ABOUT CALVINISM
1. Philosophical jumps.
2. Determinism and Compatibalistic Determinism.
3. Lack of Scriptural Basis for Conclusions:
4. Either Calvinism or Arminianism.
5. Implications for Ministry.
a. Death of a child:
c. Sluffing-off on Sovereignty:
6. Calvin did not hold to this form of Calvinism.
7. Wrath/Anger as an Attribute of God.
8. Over-emphasis on the Sovereignty of God.
WHAT I DISLIKE ABOUT SOME CALVINISTS
1. Calvinism is the Gospel.
3. Some Calvinists are Very ANGRY.
4. Some Calvinists are Groupies.
5. Some Calvinists are Deceptive about what they believe.
6. Some Calvinists’ theological understand is nothing but a book report.
7. Poor Hermeneutic.
8. Some Calvinists are not balanced.
FIVE REASONS FOR THE RESURGENCE IN CALVINISM
1. Pure Hearts.
2. Loving God with your mind.
3. Popular Writers.
4. Honest Rebellion.
5. Unanswered Questions.
Comments Closed @SBCToday for this post.
Comments Closed on 9/10 at linked blog. The moderator wrote the following:
Comments have been closed due to the degeneration of the discussion. I unapproved some of the mean spirited comments. Any more of that and you will be banned from this site. This argument has been going on for centuries and it will not be resolved in an obscure blog post. I suggest reading other perspectives and trying to actually have an open mind about a position other than yours. It is a Christian family issue – We are not universalist heretics. And if you believe we are, then the same reasoning applied to your belief system makes you a heretic because God would be the author of Evil. For starters, I would suggest reading at least Millard Erickson’s Christian Theology or a more pointed evaluation Whosoever Will: A Biblical-Theological Critique of Five-Point Calvinism by Allen and Lemke.
Again, Norm, Thank you for your position, moderation, and insightful comments on this topic.
To everyone else, I apologize for not being here throughout the discussion, I have not been in a position to moderate. Your thoughtful posts are greatly appreciated. I welcome them all.